Updated: 3 days ago
This sourdough discard cornbread is ultra simple and delicious. The sweet and mellow flavors of honey balance the tang of the sourdough, for a mellow and lightly sweet cornbread infused with fresh rosemary. This is a treat!
New to sourdough baking? Start here.
Sourdough Discard Honey Rosemary Cornbread
Makes a 10-inch cornbread
This recipe requires two mixing bowls, measuring cups, and a 10-inch cast-iron skillet for baking
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 stick of unsalted butter, plus an additional 1/2 tablespoon for greasing the pan
1 cup unfed sourdough discard
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup runny honey
1/2 cup corn kernels, frozen or freshly cut from the cob
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
2 large eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F and place your 10-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven to warm while it preheats.
2. In a small mixing bowl, combine 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 cup cornmeal, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, and 1/2 tsp sea salt.
3. Melt 1 stick of unsalted butter in the microwave in a small dish and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, mix 1 cup unfed sourdough discard, 1/3 cup buttermilk, and 1/2 cup runny honey.
5. To the liquid mixture, add in the stick of melted unsalted butter and mix well to incorporate.
6. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and add in the 1/2 cup of corn kernels and 1 tbsp chopped rosemary.
7. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Make sure the dry ingredients are fully incorporated but don't worry if there are a few lumps.
8. Remove the now preheated cast-iron skillet from the oven and use the remaining 1/2 tbsp of unsalted butter to grease the pan well, including up the sides.
9. Pour the cornbread batter into the skillet, using a large spoon or spatula to roughly smooth out the top.
10. Place on the middle rack in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. The cornbread is finished when a knife or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the edges are lightly browned. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Serve as is, or top with more butter and a drizzle of honey for an extra decadent bite! Store in a sealed container on the countertop for up to three days.