Recipe: Sourdough Discard Everything Pretzels
Updated: Jul 24
Another super simple sourdough discard recipe for you to reduce your food waste and use up any unfed sourdough starter! Topped with everything seasoning, this small batch pretzel recipe is just what you need for a tasty treat.
Sourdough Discard Everything Pretzels
Makes 6 small pretzels
You'll need a mixing bowl, a baking sheet, parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat, and kitchen scale for this recipe
50 grams water
115 grams unfed sourdough discard
30 grams whole milk
12 grams sugar
10 grams melted coconut oil
1 teaspoon salt
200 grams bread flour or other high gluten flour
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 egg, beaten
1. In a mixing bowl whisk together 50g water, 115g unfed sourdough discard, 30g whole milk, 12g sugar, and 10 grams melted coconut oil.
2. Add 1tsp salt and 200 grams bread flour and knead for 2-3 minutes until all the flour is absorbed the dough slightly sticky and smooth.
3. Form the dough into a smooth ball of dough and place into a lightly-oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest/rise for 2 hours on the countertop.
4. Once the dough has risen, turn out onto a very lightly oiled countertop. Cut the dough into 6 pieces.
5. Roll out each piece into a long strip about two feet in length. Shape them into pretzel shape and place them on a lined baking sheet.
6. Once all 6 pretzels have been shaped, place the baking sheet into the freezer. This will allow the pretzels to firm up a bit and hold their shape when you go through the following steps.
7. While the pretzels are freezing, preheat the oven to 450 F and bring a medium pot of water to boil. When the water boils add one tbsp baking soda to the water.
8. Remove the pretzels from the freezer. Gently boil each pretzel one at a time for 1-2 minutes, they should begin to float by the end of boiling. Once boiled remove from water and replace each pretzel on the baking sheet.
9. Once all the pretzels are boiled, brush each one with beaten egg.
10. Sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning and bake on the middle rack for 13-15 minutes until lightly brown.
These are best served warm with butter or whipped cream cheese!