Updated: Oct 20
This simple sourdough discard scone recipe comes together quickly, so you can focus on more important stuff! If you don't have dates, raisins are a great substitute and make a fabulous spiced raisin scone. Enjoy.
New to sourdough baking? Start here.
Sourdough Discard Date Scone Recipe
You just need mixing bowls, a sheet pan for baking, and parchment paper for this recipe
1½ cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
1/2 cup dates, pitted and chopped
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
Pinch black pepper
1 cup unfed discard sourdough starter
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1. In a medium bowl mix 1½ cups all-purpose flour, 3 tbsp granulated sugar, 2 tsp baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt.
2. Using a dough cutter or your hands, cut 5 tbsp cold unsalted butter into the flour mixture until crumbly and only small pebbles remain.
3. To that flour mixture add 1/2 cup dates, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground allspice, and a pinch of black pepper.
4. In a separate bowl, stir together 1 cup discard sourdough starter, 1/2 cup coconut milk, and 1/4 tsp vanilla.
5. Pour discard mixture into the flour mixture, and combine with a fork until the dough starts to come together. Knead a few times with your hands until a sticky dough is formed.
6. Turn out dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Gently form into a circle about 1 inch thick.
7. Place the baking sheet in the freezer and preheat the oven to 425 F (220 C). Letting the dough cool while the oven heats up makes it easier to slice during the next step.
8. Once the oven is preheated take the dough from the freezer and cut it into 8 wedges with a sharp knife or dough cutter. Gently separate the dough pieces on the baking sheet.
9. Brush the top of the scones with coconut milk. *Optional step: sprinkle the tops of the scones with granulated sugar or brush with date syrup before baking.
10. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown on top.
Serve these scones warm or at room temperature with butter!