Updated: Aug 15
Black business owners in America face unique challenges, including a lack of access to credit and capital. COVID-19 has exacerbated existing racial inequality in business. Some estimates state that as many as 40% of Black-owned businesses may close permanently. In an effort to support Black-owned restaurants, which form an essential part of the local food scene, I've teamed up with HalfSmoke and Raise Nation to organize the DC Black-Owned Restaurant Sweepstakes! From August 3-16, 2020, visit participating Black-owned establishments, scan the DC Black-Owned Restaurant Sweepstakes QR code located there, and enter to win! We hope this contest encourages the community to continue supporting Black-owned businesses during the COVID-19 crisis and beyond. Read full sweepstakes rules below or click to download rules and participating restaurants.
How to Enter:
1. Visit a participating restaurant.
2. Scan the QR code for the sweepstakes posted at each participating restaurant and fill out the form to enter to win!
That's it! Any submissions between 12:01am August 3rd through 11:59pm August 16th count as entries. Winners will be selected at random and announced on Halfsmoke’s Instagram and Facebook on August 17th, 2020 at 7pm. Must be 18 years or older to participate. Multiple entries allowed.
Grand Prize: $400+ value including Bradley Beal Jersey, $100 Cane gift card, Raise Nation Premium Membership and more!
First Prize: $300+ value including John Wall Jersey, $50 Ethiopic gift card, Raise Nation E-Membership and more!
Second prize: $200+ value including a $25 Halfsmoke gift card, Raise Nation E-Membership and more!
Third Prize: $50 Fishscale gift card!
1. FishScale: 637 Florida Ave NW, Washington, DC 20001
2. The Kitchen Jerk: 703 Edgewood St NE, Washington, DC 20017
3. DCity Smokehouse: 203 Florida Ave NW, Washington, DC 20001
4. Roaming Rooster: 3176 Bladensburg Rd NE, Washington, DC 20018
5. HalfSmoke: 651 Florida Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20001
6. Mr. Smith's of Georgetown: 3205 K St NW, Washington, DC 20007
7. Pleasant Pops: 1781 Florida Ave NW, Washington, DC 20009
8. Ethiopic: 401 H St NE, Washington, DC 20002
9. Souk: 705 8th St SE, Washington, DC 20003